Saturday, December 24, 2011

No Regrets? Really? Seriously?

            "No regrets," is a common phrase consisting of just two little words. I used to think that way when I was much younger, what seems like a lifetime ago, and much more arrogant and ignorant. Now I see it as a fool gloating over the thought of victory, but being in the totally wrong battle of wits s/he is unarmed for and prepared for neither one. "No regrets" irks me now and I expect it from younger people who think they are mature, but are just, in fact, arrogant and ignorant. "No regrets" really means you are selfish, self-centered, narcissistic, manipulative, self-indulgent, quietly self-loathing pretending to be a truly interesting person. I should know, because I was like that once upon a time. At one time these were survival skills and defense mechanisms because I just lived a fucked up existence as an addict and prostitute. I did what I had to do and it was all mememememememe.
         My mom was turned into a single mom when my dad died when I was eleven and my little brother was nine. They told him he was "the MAN of the house now" and "you have to take care of your mom and sister." He was nine years old for Christ's sake. No child that age should be told to do that. Both me and him spiraled into drugs and alcohol. I chose drugs and later added alcohol, he chose alcohol. He was big, angry and violent. We couldn't live together. I chose to be homeless rather than stay at my  mom's because one of us would have ended up dead and I didn't intend to go to prison or die. I moved out when I was 17 and into an abusive, tortuous, relationship that took forever to get out of for me, mainly because I finally wised up and tossed his shit out in the yard when it was raining and broke up with him he stalked me. But this is a story for another time.
          Tonight, I called an Uncle who I have seldom talked one on one with. He was the main male influence in mine and my brothers lives after our dad died. He did his best to keep me out of trouble when I was in that stupid stage of my life. He is now 86 and with his severe heart problems I will probably not see him again before he dies. So much regret. I apologized and thanked him like I should have done.
         No regrets? You are either a fool, a liar, or a sociopath. No regrets? Bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment